Serving Nassau and Suffolk Counties on Long Island1-631-581-0808
In this episode of "Ask the Expert", a customer in Oakdale, NY asks about musty odors in their basement, if it is mold and how to get rid of it.
If a musty odor is present, your basement has a humidity problem, and chances are mold is growing in it as well. Even if you can't see wet or moldy spots in the basement, any organic material present or stored in that humid environment will support mold growth. That includes wood, drywall, carpet, fabric and paper. Even household dust has enough organic matter to support mold growth in a humid basement.
The only way to stop mold growth and get rid of odors is to control humidity. This is done in 3 steps:
1. A good basement waterproofing system with a powerful sump pump to stop basement leaks and flooding.
2. Vapor barrier on walls and floor. This stops water that seeps through the concrete from evaporating into the basement.
3. A potent basement dehumidifier like the energy-efficient SaniDry dehumidifier, which is offered exclusively in Long Island by Healthy Basement Systems.
The SaniDry is virtually maintenance free. Once you set it up, it will automatically monitor relative humidity levels in the basement, and withdraw moisture from the air and from the building materials, self-emptying into the drainage system. You will never need to empty a dehumidifier tray again!
It also has a potent air filter to rid the air of common allergens such as mold spores, dust mite pellets and other harmful particles as small as two microns!